Monday, August 16, 2010

Across the Plains...

I have been wanting to visit my parents for awhile now and I decided to see how hard it was to drive to their house with all three dogs to discover if it would be a doable adventure in the future for holiday trips, with our kids one day, etc.
Roadside U-pick peaches somewhere in Missouri... best peaches ever...

With a car packed to the gills, the pups and I headed north towards Canada (our destination, Grand Forks, is only 75 miles from the Canadian border!) for over 25 hours of driving... that's not 24 hours of travel. That's 25+ hours of straight foot-to-the-pedal driving. Yea, you can be impressed now. I know I am!

So sleepy, Mama... Cali napping on the drive...

I have to admit, I didn't really plan out the trip before I left, I just punched my parents address into the GPS and drove. As a result, I didn't really know what cities or places we would hit before we arrived, and each road sign held a new surprise! We crossed through Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, and then finally North Dakota. I swear I thought Missouri would never end... EVER... South Dakota was full of pipeline workers for the oil spill and all of the bikers heading to Sturgis which left me literally bidding for the last hotel room in town (then I had to sneak the pups in and out the backdoor of the hotel, because of course they didn't take dogs... that was an experience in and of itself!)
Gorgeous sunset on the road...
Anyway, for the next few days I will share some of my roadtrip adventures with you all so that you can appreciate all of the beauty (and boredom!) to be found traveling 1700 miles across middle America!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails